When you are thinking about renting an automobile worldwide, it is definitely needed to also obtain an International Driving Permit online (sometimes incorrectly known as a license). An International Driver’s Permit (IDP) allows you to operate a car in another country, so long as you have a valid drivers license issued by the state of yours and is recognized as a legitimate form of identification in more than 175 countries also as by many major automobile rental companies internationally.
Getting an International Driver’s Permit is able to take between one day to a couple of weeks, based on whether you are going through walk-in processing or perhaps applying via mail, as ensure to plan in advance in case you are intending to drive on your international trip. You’ll find just 2 locations in the United States the issue these documents: The American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA).
Where to Get an International Driver’s Permit
In the United States, International Driver Permits (IDPs) are just issued by the American Automobile Association and the American Automobile Touring Alliance, and the State Department recommends against purchasing an IDP from various other outlets as they’re all completely illegal to purchase, carry, or perhaps sell.
IPDs is usually issued to anyone more than eighteen who’s had a valid drivers license for 6 months or even longer, and they usually are valid for one year or perhaps the expiration of your current state driving license – it is crucial that you explore an IPD before the trip of yours as well as ensure you understand the requirements.
Both AATA and AAA are fantastic sources for these documents, so after you have selected a provider, go to either the AAA’s application or perhaps NAATA application’s site, print out the International Driving Permit Application, complete all applicable fields, and distribute it.
When you have the application completed, you are able to mail it in via the mail or perhaps visit a local office of an organization as AAA; you will also need 2 original passports sized photos along with a signed copy of your valid U.S. driver’s license plus an enclosed check for the fee (typically fifteen dollars).
Tips to Using and getting Your International Driver’s Permit
- AAA offices are able to process IDPs during the visit of yours, but in case you send out the application in, processing generally takes ten to fifteen business days, although expedited services may be there to help you receive your license within one or perhaps 2 business days for an extra fee.
- When applying, you will need a computer and printer, completed application, a copy of your valid U.S. driver’s license, 2 passport photos, and a check, money order, or perhaps credit card to finish the process – remember to get these along with you in case you are applying in person.
- Always be sure to have your valid United State’s driver’s license when driving internationally as your IDP is invalid without this accompanying proof of eligibility to drive. IDPs only act as a translation of domestically accepted licenses and don’t allow all those with no government issued driver’s licenses to drive abroad.
- You will also need to make certain to enclose the appropriate fees (the fee for the IDP, along with any shipping and handling fees), photos, and photocopies of the license of yours when submitting the application of yours to AATA or AAA as omitting any of these necessary documents will end up in your application being rejected.
- You must also look at the driving requirements and laws for all the countries you’ll be driving in on the vacation of yours so you will know what’ll be needed in the event you get stopped by local authorities.